Batley Grammar School was founded in 1612 and celebrated its quatercentenary in 2012, after having become a Free School in 2011. It enjoys a deserved reputation for its academic success and for its record of pastoral care.
We pride ourselves on giving focused attention to students, and our warm, friendly atmosphere promotes calm, professional purpose in lessons and in the numerous activities of the school. Our students enjoy high standards of learning, self-discipline and personal responsibility.
The staff and the governors of the school are committed to encouraging every student to make their own positive contribution to success both in and out of the classroom, and by doing so, to enjoy their time at the school. We believe this is not only reflected in academic achievement, but also in the rounded individuals who leave us equipped for the next stage of their lives.
Batley Grammar School was founded in 1612 by the Rev. William Lee. The original school building was erected close to the Parish Church of Batley, and the duties of the Master were ‘to teach and instruct youth and children… and to make such as be capable fit for the university’. This has remained an important aim of the school since its foundation.
Over the years, the school has nurtured and inspired a great many pupils who have made their mark in industry, commerce, the sciences, education and other important spheres. For example: Joseph Priestley, Sir Titus Salt, Sir Owen Richardson and, more recently Richard Reed of Innocent Smoothies and Lawrence Tomlinson of Ginetta Cars. Some would attribute the successes of these and others to the school’s allegiance to hard work and scholarship.
The school moved to its present site in 1878, and for the next hundred years was reliant on income from the West Riding County Council, and then Kirklees Council. The school became independent in 1978, and joined the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference (HMC) several years later. In 1988, girls were admitted for the first time into the Sixth Form, and the school became fully co-educational in 1996.
In 2000, Priestley House, our Primary Phase, was opened, and children are now admitted from the age of four. In 2011, Batley Grammar School took the exciting step of becoming a Free School, the first Free School in Yorkshire.